so far i’ve seen southern, southwestern, and northeastern gothic, but nobody’s talked about how great MIDWESTERN GOTHIC could be. listen:
- weird happenstances in fields, bloody pawprints and pressed-down cornstalks, a clump of soybeans flattened into esoteric shapes
- small towns with big secrets multiplied by a thousand, uncanny locals with a hand for spells
- mysterious hitchhikers with glowing eyes on the side of a dimly-lit highway
- taking detours down a backwoods dirt road, getting entranced by the glowing lights in the thickly knotted woods (sure are a lot of fireflies out there. i’ll take a look. just for a moment.)
- dilapidated buildings, the old falling-apart house in the empty lot at the end of the road you always avoid without knowing why. the crumbling farmhouse by your grandparent’s place in the country that calls to you when you drive past it in the dark
- billboards proclaiming HELL IS REAL, mile upon mile of windmills that uproot themselves and rearrange in the night
- always traveling, the significance of crossroads, staying in a shoddy old hotel advertised with a flickering neon light, surrounded by miles of pavement
- more weird field happenstances because fields are so important. mint that can charm a village, blueberry patches with torn and dirty pieces of fine clothing in them. unnatural noises from cornfields at night, figures near it that can only be glimpsed out of the corner of your eye
ladies who should be playing mythical head bitches in charge | NATALIE PORTMAN as BADB, the war goddess who takes the form of a crow and flies over the armies within her dominion, who sows fear and confusion, who is one of the morrigan.
The men beneath in their unformed hordes swarm over the hills and from her height, they are hardly bigger than ants. Her wings are wide and strong and black, and she shrieks out a sound, shrill and piercing, and thousands of men shake in the aftermath of her scream. She is the wind, and the air, and all the unmarked space between one body and the next, and she whispers, in the interim: steel sinking into your flesh, a knife against your tender throat, your women raped and your children thrown from the hills. Do you still want to fight, my dear? Her wings beat, and she laughs as she soars.
On my way to destroy the patriarchy.
"Je suis prest. ‘I am ready.’ But ready for what?"
HARRY POTTER HISTORY MEME: three younger versions of characters [1/3] → Bellatrix Lestrange (Eva Green)Bellatrix Lestrange (née Black) (1951 – 2 May, 1998) was a pure-blood witch, the daughter of Cygnus III and Druella Black and elder sister of Andromeda Tonks and Narcissa Malfoy. After leaving Hogwarts, she became a Death Eater - and was famed as Voldemort’s most dangerous and sadistic follower.
Mythology | Valkyrie
Valkyries (from the Old Norse Valkyrja, in Norse mythology, daughters of the principal god Odin, are often called Odin’s maidens. At his bidding, they flew on their horses over the fields of every battle to choose the souls of the heroic dead. Belief in the existence of magic horsewomen from heaven was widespread in Germanic and Scandinavia cultures, though they were called by different names.
The Valkyries carried out the will of Odin in determining the victors in battle and of course the war. As each Valkyrie performed differing tasks according to Odin’s instruction, it was their prime duty to ride into the battlefield and choose the fallen heroes of the field. To be chosen by a Valkyrie and carried off on her white steed to Valhalla was considered an honor to the dying Viking warrior, for Valkyries only chose the bravest of the slain, gathering souls found deserving of an afterlife. They traveled far-and-wide searching for the dead in battlefields, oceans and seas for mortal men worthy of the grand hall. However, if the Viking warriors are deemed unworthy by the Valkyries, the goddess Hel in a cheerless underground world received them after their death. [x]
Mythology Picspam → Isis
I call upon you, Isis, most graceful and high of the High Ones
Hear your lowly servitor and grant your blessings
Most full and gentle
You whose crescent moon and stars
Encompass the world (x)
GUYS I was watching an Indian film (Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na) and look what was on screen just before the credits:
ITS A MAN WAITING FOR GODOT
HE IS WAITING FOR GODOT
I’m so fucking happy
"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices." ― Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 2002 [X]